Moving Insurance and Valuation
At Ottawa Best Movers our workers and our entire staff do everything in their power to make sure that no damages will occur to your possessions. Unfortunately, with all the preparations and safeguarding available, accidents can happen. That is why we have insurance options available to cover any damages.Get in Touch!
In case of damage done to a property, such as dents to the walls or flooring, Ottawa Best Movers is covered by 2,000,000$ in liabilities coverage, with deductible of 1000 $ paid by a customer.
In case of damage done to the furniture or any other items during the move we provide Standard Valuation Coverage of 0.6$ per pound, at no additional cost to all our customers.
You can find more information about this coverage by clicking on link below:Moving Protection Moving Insurance
If you require additional coverages please contact our representative or purchase additional insurance directly from:Moving Insurance Baker Intl.
Please note that this is a client's responsibility to ensure that the damage is reported to the movers on the site in order to make a claim to the insurance. NO CLAIM WILL BE ACCEPTED after the movers had left the property at the completion of the job.
Full Value protection.
If you feel that all of your personal belongings are certainly worth more than $.60 cents a pound, we also offer “full-value protection”. The coverage is based on your valuation of the contents being transported. The cost is based on about 1% percent of the valuation, so if you decide all of your belongings being shipped are worth $50,000, you would pay about $500 for full-value protection. Full-value protection allows us two options if any articles are lost, destroyed or damaged during the move. This is also called “full replacement value.” Moving Relocation Systems, not the consumer, decides how amends will be made for the property. We can either have the item repaired so it is in the same condition as it was before being damage occurred, or we can replace the item with another of like-kind. Basically, if your two-year-old washing machine was smashed, we would not replace it with a new one. You will likely be given the fair-market value of a two-year-old washing machine.
Full Replacement Value Insurance (do it yourself)
Two Insurance Companies that offer full replacement value moving insurance are:Moving Insurance Baker Intl.
Full replacement coverage has a much more inclusive coverage than regular standard valuation insurance, and generally offers more options regarding deductible levels and the amount of coverage. If your possessions are valued above $50,000 and consist of valuable items such as electronics, pianos and artwork, or if you have an individual item valued at more than $5,000, you may consider purchasing full replacement value insurance from the companies above.
Certificate of Insurance.
Ottawa Best movers maintains in excess of two million dollars worth of General Liability insurance. Nearly every commercial office requires some form of insurance certificate prior to any work being performed.
Here is a list of rules and regulations to insurance coverage:
- Insurance does not automatically pay for any damage. It must be clearly shown that the mover was responsible for the damage.
- Items in boxes not packed by the mover are not covered, unless the outside of the carton provides clear evidence that the entire box was damaged during the moving.
- The mover is not responsible for any electronic item that does not function after the move, unless there is clear evidence that the item was not handled properly during the move.
- A client must report to the movers any damage noticed on the site and fill out all appropriate forms in order to make a claim to the insurance. The forms will be provided by movers upon request. No claim can be made after the movers had left the property, as both parties need to sign a claim form.
In order to start a claim process, a client has to report the damage to the movers and pay the full amount for the move performed.
The Company shall not under any circumstances, be liable for:
- Loss, damage or delay to any of the goods described in the bill of lading caused by an act of God, the Queen's or public enemies, riots, strikes, a defect or inherent vice in the goods, an act or default of the consignor, Owner or Customer, authority of law and or quarantine.
- Mechanical quality of any electronics or appliances.
- Acoustical quality of any musical instruments
- Damage to articles made of press board, particle board or wafer board or similar structured materials
- Damage to glass , marble or similar materials, as an independent item or as part of articles being moved (unless proper packing provided by customer, e.g. cardboard box with corners support for glass table tops, wooden crate for marble table tops)
- Damage caused by or due to peeling veneer of any sort
- Deterioration of any article due to aging, temperature, humidity or moisture
- Items of extraordinary value including but not limited to Mortgage Papers, Legal Documents, Business Documents, Antique's, Jewelry are not covered by either release rate liability or full value protection. Therefore these items are moved and/or transported at owner's risk.
- Exterior cosmetic damage on unboxed merchandise caused by Company is consignor's sole responsibility. Company does not take any responsibility what so ever on items that are unpacked or poorly packed
- Ottawa Best movers reserves the right to refuse to move items through passages or stairways with less than 2 inches clearance all around the walls/ceiling and the item in question. In agreeing to these terms and condition of service you are waiving any liability against Ottawa Best Movers for damage that might occur to the passage, stairways, walls or the items in question during execution of such maneuvers.
- Any damages where the crew have pointed out to the customer that they are likely to occur and the customer accepts that risk. An example of this would be moving an over-sized couch through a narrow stairway/hallway/doorway where the couch must touch the walls/railings/stairs in order to fit through the passage.
- Damages to any item or resulting from any item loaded to or from a vehicle/container/warehouse/storage unit not owned, leased, or otherwise contracted by Ottawa Best Movers.
To be insured against damages, the following items must be crated or placed in specialized boxes/cases. Custom boxes and crates MUST BE PROVIDED BY CUSTOMER.
- Products made of natural stone, concrete, ceramic, porcelain, or glass
- Paintings, sculptures, or other work of art
- Grandfather clocks, chandeliers, flat screen televisions, musical instruments
- Small appliances such as microwaves, stereo equipment, printers, computers, and monitors.
- Mirrors, wall clocks and hanging fixtures.
- Mattresses will not be insured against structural damage if the customer requests that they be bent or folded during the moving process
- Sports/exercise equipment (eg. bikes, treadmills, home gyms, kayaks, canoes, paddle/surf/sailboards) unless packed/crated by an agent of Ottawa Best Movers
- Motorized vehicles/equip (eg. motorbikes, lawnmowers, snowblower) mobility aids (eg. wheelchairs); medical equipment (eg. hospital beds)
- Any damage resulting from the interference or assistance of a customer or other(s) in the moving or packing process.
- Damages to the home unless documented on the work order prior to the moving crew leaving the home. It is the customer’s responsibility to inspect the home and bring any damages to the attention of the crew before they leave the site. The company may, at its discretion, accept responsibility for damages after the fact.